Old August 10th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Walker[_1_]

Default Smog check HC question

nutso fasst wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I replaced cat converter 2 yrs ago to bring down HC in wife's 81 VW
> Scirocco. Now the car's failing due to high HC again, with only about 2800
> miles since last test! Results:
>
> 15mph, 1807rpm
> HC max: 162 - HC meas: 149
> CO max: 1.09 - CO meas: 0.27
> NO max: 1227 - NO meas: 983
>
> 25mph, 1938rpm
> HC max: 132 - HC meas: 172 FAIL
> CO max: 1.09 - CO meas: 0.27
> NO max: 1227 - NO meas: 791
>
> The car is driven every few days for short trips except was driven about
> 15-20 miles on the freeway before the test. Also, tester ran it for 2
> minutes at 2K or so before starting the test. It has over 250K miles and
> does pass some oil - about 1qt every 200 miles or so I think. It doesn't
> smoke in normal driving though, and near-new plugs look toasty-good.
>
> Question: I put a bottle of Techron in the tank. Is there a chance running
> that out on the freeway would clean up the test results, or is a new cat the
> answer? (Can a cat go bad in 2800 miles?!)
>
> Also: what effect does Techron have on a smog test? Does it all have to be
> run out and refueled before testing?
>
> thx,
> nf

If you really want to keep the car,and keep it cheap, put in some
Restore(?), engine rebuild in a can, put a few hundred miles on it, put
in a new cat & get tested again. If you pass(you should), go home,
remove cat, replace with old one, & drive it until next test. Repeat
process as needed.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)