Old August 9th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

Default Smog check HC question

nutso fasst wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> > Have you replaced the O2 sensor? Or had someone tweak the mixture
> > adjustment on the fuel distributor? (techron is a good idea tho, dirty
> > injectors are another possibility) A VW shouldn't NEED a catcon to pass
> > emissions, I know lots of people with gutted and/or known failed cats
> > (myself included) who have passed smog tests with flying colors.

> The car invariably passed smog checks w/o cat replacement until 239K miles
> ('98). Then the HC numbers were way out, and a new cat brought them way
> down. The car passed in 2000 and just barely in 2002. In 2004 needed another
> cat to pass. So we get one cat going 238K, next 10K, and next...2.8K? I
> don't think it's been using THAT much more oil. It's been tuned, CO adjusted
> and O2 sensor replaced a while ago - symptoms don't indicate O2 sensor, do
> they?
>
> Any idea what effect Techron will have on the test if tested with it still
> in the tank?
>
> > If you are anywhere near DC I advise you to just give the car to me,
> > because early body Sciroccos are utterly worthless and certainly not any
> > good for monster 1.8 turbo swaps

> That sounds perfectly unreasonable. Hmm, maybe I should be asking what's
> involved in a 1.8 turbo swap! Anyway, I'm on the best coast.
>
> > Seriously, though, a quart in 200 miles is not good, engine might just
> > be getting tired if a real tune-up doesn't get it to pass. Your cat
> > might well be dead already if all that oil is being burned and not
> > leaking out. Good news is that vee-dub 4-cyls are near unbreakable so
> > it should be ready for another good 250K after a rebuild.

> Maybe so, but also needs a fender, weatherstrip, upholstery, headliner,
> paint, dashboard, wiring, CV joints...and who knows what else. It sure has
> been the best car I've ever had though. Only 2 sets of tires, 2 brake jobs,
> 2 timing belts, and IIRC only one clutch in 252K miles. In its youth it got
> 36 mpg hwy, 29 city.
>
> nf

I just don't like your oil consumption... I would suggest just dropping
in a junkyard engine (hell, I sold an '84 with similar mileage for $600
a while back that *didn't* burn oil) but I'm not 100% familiar with the
earlier cars, I don't know what would and wouldn't bolt in without any
mods at all. High oil consumption can cause failures of both the O2
sensor and the cat well before their time, and on a car with a cat you
won't see any smoke until the cat is well and truly trashed.

nate