Old July 18th 05, 05:25 PM
Peter Pontbriand

Hmm. A conundrum has surfaced. I've incrementally increased the torque on
the pinion nut a few times to the maximum of 250 ft-lbs my torque wrench
will do. The preload has increased, i can feel more resistance to turning,
but I can still turn the pinion nut with my in-lbs torque wrench set to it's
minimum of 25 in-lbs without it clicking.

What do I do? Crank on the pinion nut with a breaker bar and hope I don't go
to far, or put it all back together and hope the preload is enough as-is?

/Peter

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> That is the idea Peter. It can take up to 500 ft lb to set that sucker
> according to the book I have. I was always told to go at least to 300,
> but as mentioned, I have never done one.
>
> Mike
>
> Peter Pontbriand wrote:
> >
> > Disregard what, exactly? The bit about the air impact wrench? Seeing as

> > don't have one, that won't be a problem ;-)
> >
> > Actually, someone mentioned somewhere in this thread that using anything
> > further sown the drivetrain to hold the pinion from turning wouldn't

work.
> > Now that I've played around with it a bit more, I can see - or should I

say
> > feel - how the gear teeth would cause the pinion to "walk" a bit,

thowing
> > things off. I think the only way to do this properly is to have

something to
> > hold the yoke itself, which is what I've done. I've reinstalled it using

red
> > Loc-Tite on the nut, snugged it up to 160 ft-lbs, and removed my yoke
> > grabber. The axle shafts are removed, and it's taking way less torque

than
> > my inch-lbs torque wrench can measure to turn the pinion.
> >
> > So, just to make sure, what I should be doing now is increasing the

torque
> > on the pinion yoke nut incrementally until it takes 30 inch-lbs or so to
> > turn the pinion?
> >
> > /Peter
> >
> > "Earle Horton" > wrote in message
> > news:1121699291.1230ba0de444f436447964b5ba854b66@t eranews...
> > > Thirty years ago I would have used an air impact wrench, but now I

have
> > more
> > > experience. Please disregard this. ;o)
> > >
> > > Earle