Old July 9th 05, 05:06 AM
Comboverfish

Andy Chang wrote:

> I called Honda Care and they told me that if the engine is making noise, then
> they will cover it. It all seemed too fishy so I'm taking my problem to the
> dealer whom I broght the car from.

That sounds like a good plan. Your extended warrantee should cover
abnormal engine noise regardless of cause, unless a normal maintenance
item (timing belt) was neglected. I think the Honda recognized
interval for that belt is 90k. Internal components should be covered
unless it can be proven that fluid maintenance has been neglected.

> But anyway, doesn't the VTEC kicks in at around 5600 RPM? Would a bad
> valve train 'cause persistance noise at a small range of constant engine
> RPM?

I am used to what I see these days, which is Toyota's VVT-i system. It
works in a significantly different manner (with the exception of their
VVT-iL engine that uses high lift rockers like your Honda), but Toyotas
will make a subtle rattling sound at a given held RPM. If there is a
problem with the cam controller then they can get loud enough to signal
a real problem. I would agree in theory that your Prelude VTEC system
really only kicks in at high RPMs since is a valve lift adjustment, but
my knowledge of Honda's system is very slight.

Toyota MDT in MO