Old March 12th 05, 02:14 AM
Comboverfish

HLS wrote:
> "Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> > Otoh, if you have a strong other person to help, you can
> > do it without the gizmo.
> >
> > I don't remember where I saw the door holder, but it was adjustable
> > and had wheels on it for rolling the door away and back to the
> > vehicle.
> >
> > Lg
> >

> Luckily, the hinge mounts to the door are welded so there is no

adjustment.
> I plan to mark the hinges on the chassis so they will be easy to get

back
> into relative alignment.
>
> I plan to use a nylon strap on my engine hoist to lift the doors and
> transport them.
>
> What I didn't know was how hard that spring will be to replace in the

hinge
> assembly.

Since my faulty memory is involved, I can't remember the exact tools
I've used on GM door springs for that same job. Basically, I opened
the door as far as possible and pryed the spring out, then probably
used a pair of needlenose channellocks to "bend" the spring on
installation - and faced the contracted side of the spring coils
towards the hinge while pushing with great force.

Here's a link to Snapon's hinge service kit that includes the spring
compressor made for this job. I couldn't find it seperately (well, not
quickly enough so I didn't bother) though the compressor is avaliable
from most any tool source by itself. Look in the picture for the
silver item about the size of a Leatherman tool.

http://tinyurl.com/3l838

HELP! products by Motormite offer the hinge and bushing kit at most
parts stores.

Toyota MDT in MO