Old February 17th 05, 06:00 PM
Brian

Default driver license for trailers?

I'm doing a little research. I just learned that in Ontario you need to
have a A-class drivers license to tow a trailer over 4,600 Kg (roughly
10,000 pounds). That's the same license to drive tractor-trailers, and you
need annual testing and periodic medicals to keep that license, plus you
need a three month course and a tractor-trailer rig to even take the test.

The issue is that a lot of racers use fifth wheel trailers to haul their
race cars, and they often have GVWR's over 11,000 pounds. It seems that up
here those guys are breaking the law since most don't have A licenses. What
are the rules in the US? Everybody thinks that if the tow vehicle is an RV
or if the trailer has living accomodations in the front it is exempt, but it
ain't...I double checked that!

thanks for any data...
Brian