Old March 27th 05, 10:45 PM
Wray McDonnell

Default Brake Bleeding Problem - '82 Rabbitt Diesel

When the brake pedal on this car started going to the floor, I looked for
signs of leaking brake fluid and leaks on any of the brake lines or wheel
cylinders. I found none and the brake fluid reservoir which sits atop the
master cylinder was at it's full mark. I suspected that the master cylinder
was shot.

So I put a new master cylinder in. However, when I went to bleed each wheel
(starting at the farthest away), I found that I could not get the air
bubbles to stop coming from the right rear cylinder. The other three are
clear with no air upon bleeding. The rear brakes including cylinders were
replaced a year ago and are in good condition (dry under the rubbers).

This car does not have the "equalizer" that is mentioned in some manuals.

I suspect that it might be a problem with the connections of the brake lines
to the master cylinder. However, it doesn't seem to be leaking fluid in any
way. And I still get air bubbles from the bleeding of only the right rear
cylinder. Could the new master cylinder be defective?

So my question is: What have I done wrong here? or What could be the
source of the air in the bleeding of the right rear cylinder?

Thanks for your advice.
Wray