Old September 8th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

Default help exhaust glowing

jeffcoslacker > wrote in
:

> Another thing...the cat. It gets hotter the more unburned fuel it has
> to digest. At a certain point, it becomes too much, and it will begin
> to overheat, glow,

I once saw this exact thing on an '80s Lada Riva (Russian 4WD). It later
turned out the carb float had sunk and tons of fuel was being dumped into
the engine to the point that the engine eventually stalled and would not
restart.

By the time I got to see it, the cat was glowing literally orange and the
rubber hanger rings were on fire. Good thing there was snow beside the
road. By throwing snow at the cat, we were able to extinguish the fires
before the vehicle itself went up.

That was a night to remember, let me tell you.

--
TeGGeR®