Old June 25th 05, 12:45 PM

>Maintaining a car isn't rocketscience so you can do it as well. Don't sell
>the bug but give it a chance. You just have to teach yourself how. I take it
>you're doing programming sort of stuff, so you know how to read a tech
>manual, right? Now you will get your hands (and manual) dirty as your read.

In the Computer workd we have a saying,.... RTFM
It stands for "Read the F-ing Manual" The problem is that most of us
don't like to read the manual. Bu tin this case I think I'm going to
have to. I'm also going to have to clean out the garage of all the
computer parts to make room in there for the Bug and a set of tools
<G>. I've ordered the Bently's Book,.. 2 copies,... one for the house
and then one for the garage that I'm sure will be covered in grease
and oll by the end of this summer <G>.

>I'd order tape 1 from bugmevideo.com. It shows you how to do the basics and
>work yourself up from there (or not, if you choose - nothing wrong with
>that). Order a good manual like Bentleys with lots of pictures and solid
>instructions. Lurk this group and see if you can follow along when people
>talk about stuff.
>On your bug, start with oil changes.

I've been following the group and reading most of the posts. Haven't
learned all that much yet but I do enjoy the posts. You people are a
neat group and in many ways are like the Computer Geeks I hang
with,... You love to argue and have fun at the same time <G>.

>As far as parts go, use aircooled.net if you can. They are honest and know
>what they are doing. JCWhitney is ok, but there's no comparison to talking
>to a a person that knows and owns bugs (like aircooled). Don't compare JCW's
>price to AC, because AC's quality is usually higher and you also get much
>better service (AC would have made sure you received the right ones, for
>instance).
>
>Remco

My Mechanic also suggested Aircooled.net. I think that is where he got
the Master Cylindar. I'm lucky in the fact that My Mechanic is into
these kind of cars. He is the son of Lester Smalley who was one of the
organizers back in 1948 that started Road racing in America after WW2.
His garage is a Mueseum of Road racing in Watkins Glen, NY. I've been
working on a web page for him in the hopes that maybe he will cut some
of the $ off the Bug Bill <G>. Smalley's Garage was the place they did
the tech inspections for races at the Glen till 1961. So I'm lucky to
have him here helping me with this project.

The end is in sight though,... He called me to tell me that the parts
will be in on Monday to finish the job and I should have it back
sometime midweek. We ended up replacing the entire brake system from
the master cylindar all the way to the pads,.. at least that is one
area I won't have to deal with again for a number of years <G>. I may
have to up what I charge my own customers to pay him though,... but I
don't think I will tell them the reason for the increase. They just
wouldn't understand <G>.

On the Funny side,....

I saw a 1971 Westfalla bus for sale,... the guy only wants $3500 for
it. It's had one owner and has sat in a garage since 1977. The only
problem is that it needs new brakes <G>. I didn't buy it,... though I
seriously thought about it. I think if I'm going to "Take the Plunge"
I really need to learn how to turn a wrench first. Besides,.. I'd
rather get a Bus from the early 60's <G>.

Ken