Old December 20th 04, 08:56 PM
Steve W.

Because they only correlate the thread size, and seal diameter. I would
bet that the filter size for that engine was altered during production.
Probably to increase clearance or allow it to be installed in a
different vehicle. GM did that with a few vehicles. They listed 2
filters that would fit the small block. One held a little under 1/2
quart and the other a full quart, they were different lengths only. You
basically used the one that would physically fit in the space. For
instance the 4X4 transfer case made it too tight to use the long filter
on trucks but the 2 wheel drives had no problem. Personally in that
situation I use the largest filter that will fit.

--
Steve

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Have some spare oil filters that I thought were left over from an old
> car which I no longer have - trying to figure out if I can use them on
> my newer cars. The two cars I have now:
>
> -96 626, 4cyl, recommended fram filter ph6607
> -02 Altima, 4cyl, recommeded fram filter ph7317
>
> The cross referencing tool at Fram's web site says that my old filters
> (STP S-02867) can be cross referenced to all of these fram numbers:
> PH3593A, PH3950, PH5343, PH6607, PH7317. This sounds like good news

> me - but ph6607 & ph7317 (the two models recommended for my cars) look
> physically different in size. How can the STP filter cross reference
> both fram models if they're different sizes? Should I not be

concerned