Old August 12th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

Default Volvo 1988 740 GLE Low gas mileage.

"Sharshera" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1988 Volvo 740 GLE Wagon. It runs very rich. It does something
> like 18mpg or so in the city and around 23mpg or so on the highway.
>
> I changed the O2 sensor, the spark plugs are relatively new, the gas
> pressure regulator, the fuel filter. I have tried additives to clean
> injector but all this just went in vein.
>
> Does anyone have any clues as what to investigate? What might be the
> problem?
> I like the car very much and hope that I can drive more often but I
> only try to take it in longer trips because of its bad fuel economy.
>
> The car has 150Kmiles on it.
>

> Any help will be very much appreciated.

What engine and transmission do you have ? What kind of mileage are you
expecting ? You stated " It does something like 18mpg or so in the city
and around 23mpg or so on the highway." How did you arrive at these figures
? The only way to accurately figure fuel mileage is to divide miles
travelled by the amount of fuel used. You need to do this over several tanks
of gas to get an average.