Old August 9th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
[email protected]

Default '90 Accord post-repair coolant leak

Pete from Boston wrote:
> In the past two and a half years I've replaced my '90 Accord's
> radiator, water pump, thermostat twice, and just had the cooling fan
> motor and temp sensor replaced after the car started getting hot even
> while moving fast (without boil-over). Following that last repair, I
> had to drive the car 150 miles home, following which I smelled coolant
> and found a fair amount dripping from the radiator area while parked.
>
> The temp gauge reads low-to-mid-level, as it should, and the receipt
> says they did a pressure test (plus the mechanic said they'd idled it
> for 45 minutes to be sure the fan was working). So why the coolant
> spill? Any ideas? I don't know how pressure test and idle compare to
> real highway travel. I plan to call the mechanic when they open
> tomorrow, but any ideas from the crowd would be appreciated.

Is the cap and reserve bottle ok? Sorta sounds like the radiator
cap, but I'm just guessing off the top of my head.. Normally , any
overflow should be routed to that bottle. The caps have two seals
kinda stacked. Maybe the seal for the overflow function is getting
funky. ??
MK