Old August 8th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Default 2001 "S" series?

See comments below ... Good luck with your vehicle search. I'm not sure
what other issues you have had with your 1995 SL1 or what mileage you have
put on it either. You also give no idea of how much oil is consumed or over
what mileage so it is difficult to understand if this is a real problem or
simply a nuisance. As Marx pointed out, you really do not share much
information and appear to have come to this group with an axe of some kind
to grind.

I'm not a Saturn expert, but my son's 1996 SL1 has been a very reliable and
easily maintained vehicle. It now has over 140K miles and he is the second
owner. He purchased it at 112K miles three or so years ago. It burns about
1-1.5 quarts of oil between 3K mile changes. We found that replacing the
PCV helped some and doing the piston ring soak with Marvel Mystery Oil also
seemed to help as well.

By the way, the 1.5 quarts/3K miles includes some dripping from the oil
seals onto the drive as well. All in all, this has been a very good
investment and a very economic vehicle for us.

Bob

"Joe" > wrote in message
> I'm currently driving a 1995 SL1 with oil burning issues.
>
> I'm currently borrowing the 2002 SW2 wagon. Definitely has more HP.
> Haven't found the high MPH limit yet, but I would guess it is higher than
> the 105 or 115 that the SL1 had...

Gee, I wonder why it burns oil? Only had it up to 115 MPH, huh? I'd be
scared to death to get a SL up over 80-90 MPH! They were not designed to
cruise evewn for short period of time at this type of speed!

> Previous owner is family - this the great deal if I decide to go with it.
> Only downsides are that my 1995 has power windows, cruise, and is a stick.

Comment: Sounds like your 1995 SL is either a SL2 or was ordered with a lot
of options by the original buyer. Most SL1s come bare bones without options
since they were more inexpensive. If it is indeed a SL1, then it is a bit
unique from my perspective.

> The wagon is manual everything (how the heck do they expect you to adjust
> the passenger mirror!) and doesn't have cruise.
>
> I drive EVERYWHERE on cruise so this is a real shock to me. Plus, it's a
> lazy automatic.

I thought you said it had "manual everything" ... but now you say that it
has an automatic transmission?

> Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R
>
> Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Out of curiosity, just what exactly does this signature line mean? What is
a mother ship?