Old July 18th 05, 11:32 AM
C. Massey

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The tow-truck drivers know which shops stay open late.
>
> Nowadays, it takes a fully-equipped professional to *optimize* a
> vehicle's performance.
>
> It does NOT take a pro, to do basic inspections that will AVOID a
> show-stopping "breakdown."
>
> I think most folks over in the auto groups would agree with me that, if
> you religiously follow the manufacturer's stated maintenance
> timetables, you will never have a "breakdown".
>
> The most profitable organizations, are the most careful about
> maintenance.
>
> Maintenance *is* the frugal path.

I totally disagree with your statement "if you religiously follow the
manufacturer's stated maintenance timetables, you will never have a
"breakdown"."

While you will lessen your chance of a breakdown, you will *never eliminate*
your breakdowns due to a faulty part.

I think that any mechanic (excluding shadetree) will agree with my
statement.

I repair multi-million dollar pieces of equipment for a living, and while
our parent company says that we do too much preventative maintenance, we go
with the manufacturers recommended schedules (actually sometimes we go
beyond) for the PM's. We still have breakdowns almost every day. During
production, when the machinery is down, we are talking thousands of dollars
per minute that we are down. Downtime, or the lack of, is *very* important
to us at work.