Old October 21st 04, 08:05 PM
Dad

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "Diode" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> Dad spoke thusly:
>>
>>> Not sure that since you saw it in there and "it fit" has allot to do
>>> with

>> Just what the heck is a "ZZ4" motor anyway? Please excuse my
>> ignorance...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Shut up, Dave.
>>
>> -|>|- Diode -|<|-
>> '68 L-79 Coupe
>> '79 Triumph Bonneville

> ZZ is the GM prefix for their crate engines.
> http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...s/frameset.cfm
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd

GM says - - - -
Imagine an aluminum head small block that makes 355 horsepower. What if it
had a steel roller camshaft, four bolt main block, undercut rolled fillet
crankshaft, high silicon pistons and strong PM connecting rods? We imagined
it, and then engineered, developed, tested and built it. The ZZ4 is the
evolution of our popular ZZ series of small blocks that power thousands of
street rods, hot street cars, circle track racers and drag racers. With over
400 ft.lbs. of torque, the ZZ4 is the best way to put an aluminum head,
roller cam, high performance small block between your favorite fenders. The
aluminum angle plug cylinder heads have screw in rocker studs, 1.94" intake
and 1.50" exhaust valves and 58cc combustion chambers that yield a crisp and
responsive 10 to 1 compression ratio. Also included are our lightweight
valve spring retainers that weigh half as much as our previous design. The
valve seats are radiused and we've included valve stem seals to help keep
the oil where it belongs. To compliment the cylinder head design, we've
incorporated a steel roller tappet camshaft with .474" intake and .510"
exhaust valve lift. The combination makes 355 horsepower at 5250 rpm and has
that great sounding muscle car idle, with just enough lope to let people
know that this is no station wagon engine. Also included with the ZZ4 is an
HEI distributor with an ignition timing advance curve developed for
performance, a dual plane aluminum intake manifold that accepts your spread
bore or square bore carburetor, an 8" high-RPM torsional damper, 12.75" auto
trans flex plate and cast iron water pump. The ZZ4 is currently our most
popular crate engine, and you can see why. With a long history of successes
in circle track and drag racing as well as street rods and other performance
applications, the ZZ4 may just be the bullet for your next project. The ZZ4
is not intended for marine use, and should only be used in 1976 and earlier
pre-emissions street vehicles or any year off road vehicles.