Old September 9th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default ac compressor pulley going bad

jeffcoslacker wrote:
> It not an option to just skip the A/C pulley with a shorter belt?
>
> I think you have to remove a seal and evacuate the system to replace
> that bearing. And you'll need a GM A/C clutch tool, if it's like I'm
> thinking.
>
> If nothing else, throw a junkyard compressor ($30?) on it and go.
> That's what I paid for the last radial R134 compressor I bought
> salvage, off a '96 Sonoma...

nope. just one belt size available and looking at the configuration,
i can see how a shorter belt wouldnt work.
i hope its just the hub, then a snap ring, then the pulley. if it
gets more complicated than that, i dont think i'll be able to handle
it. i'm a low skill level backyard mechanic and looking at the mass of
pipes and fittings worries me. but, i can see using a junkyard
compressor at least as a dummy pulley might work to get me where i need
to be. then i'll have plenty of time to do it right. good suggestion
thanks.