Old July 8th 05, 02:53 AM
Steve W.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have been quoted some prices on some potential repairs to my 95 Jeep
> Wrangler, but being a non-technical owner (I just drive the thing, I
> don't know how it works) I have a hard time understanding these
> problems, guaging how important they really are, and guessing whether
> or not I am getting a decent price.
>
> I do trust this particular mechanic, and they are not presenting these
> problems to me as high-importance must-fix-for-safe-operation

problems,
> but I would still appreciate it if some of you knowledgable

jeep-people
> could offer your opinions on these:
>
> 1) What is a "Rear Main Seal". How important is a leak in one? Is it
> worth over $400 to fix?

Rear main seal is the one piece seal that closes the area between the
engines crankshaft and the engine block. If this is a 4.0 engine this is
a VERY common problem with them. Leakage there depends on how bad it
actually is. Put a piece of cardboard or paper under the rear of the
engine and see what shows up in 24 hours. IF you have a spot on the
cardboard the size of a dime or smaller don't worry about it for now. If
it is between a dime and a quarter then if you can spare the vehicle for
the time required and have the money get it repaired 400.00 is about
correct since it is a rather involved repair. Especially on a 4X4. If it
is over a 50 cent piece get it changed out ASAP since you are losing
quite a bit of oil.

> 2) What is the transmissions "Transfer Case Seal"? How important is a
> leak in it? Is it worth over $300 to fix?

About the same as a rear main seal BUT since the transfer case is
difficult to fill and check it would be a good idea to get it changed
out if it is leaking more than a drop or two per day. If it is just damp
around it don't worry about it.

> 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth

approx
> $150 to have done?

150 would be a bit high for just an injector cleaning, BUT if they are
doing injector cleaning and top end cleaning then it isn't too bad.