Old November 20th 04, 04:33 AM
Treeline

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2004, Tree Line wrote:
>
> > 1994 Plymouth Voyage "3" liter Mitsubishi, rebuilt tranny

with 58,000
> > miles
> >
> > Rebuilt at Cottman.

> Whoops, you used a franchised transmission chain. These places

specialize
> in deciding that transmissions with minor problems need

expensive total
> rebuilds. These expensive total rebuilds are always charged

for, but
> frequently not actually done. You should have taken the car to

a competent
> independent transmission diagnostician first.
>
> > The TCM is $190 remanufactured at the dealer. Any cheaper?

> www.car-part.com , searchable used auto parts nationwide. Get a

'95 or
> newer TCM.
>
> > Can I
> > replace that

> Yes.
>

> > This can't be flashed if I read the TSB right.

> That's why you should get the newer one, with the finned case,

which can
> be flashed.
>
> > Anyway to tell easily is Dexron was used in case of the

proper ATF+3

> No. Call Cottman's and ask, but most of those places use a

universal fluid
> with additives claiming (but failing) to convert the universal

fluid into
> the right stuff.

I did not take the car, the previous owner did to Cottman and was
most unhappy. So you're right. $2000 for the rebuilt then another
$700 for parts, pumps, not rebuilt right, in 2000. I suspect the
TCM or EATXII or whatever they call that Transmission Computer
Module was not upgraded. It still has the rough shift around 37
mph, the notorious shudder. After a tune-up, it's better. The
distributor had a corroded wire which probably screwed up
everything electrical. The tune-up, which I did not ask for, just
get the start problem, the original distributor wire, was $341,
which I thought was expensive and was something I used to do,
tune-ups. But the tranny is working much better, the shudder is
down about 90%.

So now for the software upgrade and the fluid change. I have not
been able to get through to Cottman on the phone. But I can see
the conversatio now - back in 2000 what fluid did you put in and
did you upgrade the computer? Probably no to both. Nothing on the
original bill about anything with a computer.

Thanks for your response.