Old July 8th 05, 05:28 AM
Tirya

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
> That's Test Hill, on the left as you come out of the entrance road. Gets
> to be about a 45-50 degree angle at the top. Most novices (I suspect those
> are the local tour rentals) don't make it the first time. You have to
> leave it in 2nd gear/high to get enough momentum to clear the top.

Yup. Regarding turning and coming back down frontwards if you lose
momentum, I think you'd get booted out of the park (if you didn't roll it
first), as all of the dunes are strictly one-way traffic... I may be
misremembering, though.

I'd also guess that those are also the local tour rentals - they all have
their tops on.

I learned the hard way that it's possible to get body damage on the dunes.
I was taking a run at Test Hill, saw a piece of driftwood in my path at the
base of the hill, figured that rather than find a different line, I'd just
straddle it, no problem. I hit the bottom of the hill, the nose went up,
the tail went down, the gas tank skid went BANG onto the driftwood, bashed
it upwards about 2 inches in the middle, and I suddenly lost a couple of
gallons-worth of capacity. My gas gauge was screwed up until I got a new
skid plate that let the tank pop back out into shape. Oops...

Made it up and over the hill, though...

Tirya
'99 TJ Sahara
TDC Inca Jeeper
A girl and her Jeep... it's a beautiful thing...