Old November 29th 04, 02:38 AM
Randolph

Lambert Moonen wrote:

> Dave Would you be able to expliane to me the function of the thermo switch
> and connection to starter motor because you know wher you are talking about.
> thanks moony

I am no Dave, but I have worked on CIS-e a bit. The switch is actually
referred to as a thermo-time-switch. It has a bimetal type switch and a
small heating element in it. When the switch goes above a certain
temperature it opens up. It is heated both by the engine and by the
heating element. After you apply power, it will heat up and then shut
off. The colder the engine is, the longer it will take to shut off. The
delay time can be as high as a dozen or so seconds. If the engine is
warm, the switch will be off and stay off.

The switch turns on the cold start valve (the fifth injector) and the
goal is to turn it on when you first turn the key to "start" and then
turn it off shortly thereafter. Thus the connection to the starter
solenoid. If the car doesn't start on the first attempt, the second
attempt will give little or no cold-start valve action, as the thermo
time switch was already heated on the first attempt.