Old December 2nd 04, 08:16 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
wrote:

> Typically any time I start the car, it's intial idle is over 1000rpm
> for the first few mins. Isn't this normal?

Yeah, that is. But, if it stays up there, or very quickly drops down,
or such, that's a bit bad.

> A few years ago, I pushed for a real check on the system and I was
> told a temp switch was 'out of band' but wasn't causing any codes.
> They replaced it at my request, and the car ran very well for a long
> time. Now we are getting the intermittent failed starts and rough
> idles and stalls. Might be a pattern here.

I'm betting on the CTS. Some aftermarket or non OEM ones tend to be a
bit flaky. Then again, so do some genuine Saturn ones...

> As for carboning up the throttle body, this seems to be a major
> complaint from most SL owners.

Not a huge problem, but it does lead to sticky operation and weird
things happening. And it's pretty easy to clean anyway.