Old March 11th 05, 06:53 PM
+ Rob +

"K. Daver" > wrote in message
m...
> Rob,
>
> That's great to hear. Although I trust the magazine, I just didn't
> understand why 2003 + 2004 (they didn't rate 2005 yet) still had a stay
> away flag, yet they listed no problems with these years. They only
> listed the problems with the 2002.
>
> Either way, I'm glad that they fixed the problem with that model and
> it's not resurfaced in later years.
>
> Thanks again!

Generally speaking, I trust Consumer Reports too. It's a good, honest
publication that provides insight into a myriad of consumer products. But it
has its flaws, just like anything else. And in this case it's basically a
flaw of omission, in that they fail to note that the widespread major
problem with the 2002 A4 has been addressed and corrected.
That said, the electrical issues that they point out are something else
altogether. German cars are well-known for having an abundance of "cutting
edge" electronic gadgetry. And, thus, they are also somewhat notorious for
developing strange "issues" with some of these electronics -- most of which
are more annoyance than problem really.
For instance, my 2002 A4 exhibits two strange behaviors related to the
electrical system. The first is a bizarre interplay between the cruise
control and the fuel gauge, in which turning on the former causes the latter
to temporarily stop working correctly (basically, the fuel gauge stops going
down until you turn off the cruise, at which time it drops like a rock). And
the second is a kink in the system that causes one of my front turn signal
bulbs to burn out about once a year (probably an electrical surge of some
sort).
Are these things annoying? Certainly. But, in the grand scheme of
things, these issues are relatively minor. And, even though Audi has never
been able to figure out a cure for either of them, they are things I can
live with -- by simply keeping an eye on the odometer when I use cruise and
by shelling out a few bucks for a light bulb periodically.
All in all, I love both of my Audis and wouldn't trade them for anything
(well....okay...maybe a Lotus...).

Rob
2002 A4 3.0Q (Black)
2005 TT 3.2 DSG (Ocean Blue)