Old June 10th 05, 09:39 PM
Gordon McGrew

On 10 Jun 2005 13:05:03 -0700, "chris24ali" > wrote:

>Sounds like the problem I had with my 88 accord. Soft brakes when
>everything got hot. It got so bad for me that I had to change the
>master cylinder, and both wheel cylinders along with flush and bleeding
>of the brake system.

When you say hot, do you mean from heavy braking such as going down
hills? Or do you mean city driving on a hot summer day?

The typical symptom of MC failure (in Hondas at least) is a hot summer
day, sitting at a stop light and suddenly the pedal sinks to the
floor. Pump it once or twice and it may be fine for a while.

Softness after heavy use sounds like the brake fluid is boiling due to
contamination, a mechanical problem or simple over use. It could also
be caused by a frozen caliper or similar problem which causes the
brake to be always applied. This is easy to recognize because one (or
more) wheels will be hot as a branding iron, even though you haven't
been braking much at all.

>But even with all that It didn't help things much. To me all honda's
>feel this way. I now have an 2005 odyssey and the first thing I
>noticed upon driving it was the soft brakes. Nothing like the old
>accord but soft. I drove a number of Nissan's and every one of those
>cars had brakes that would bring the car to a halt at the lightest
>touch of the pedal.

I would consider that to be over-boosted, but you can probably adapt
to anything. If you are used to one, the other is going to feel
wrong.