Old January 1st 05, 12:17 PM
LPG systems

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> You don't want to know which diff is best, you want to know what gear

ratio
> is the best.
>
> Higher numbers will give greater accelleration, but lower top end. For
> example, the stock ratio is going to something in the range or 3.45:1,
> 4.10:1 will give better acceleration, 4.56:1 will be even better, but the
> top speed will suffer because the engine will top out earlier.
>
> A car turning 3.45 gears will go faster than a car spinning 4.56s, but it
> will not be as quick. You seem to be interested in quickness at the

expense
> of top end, which is why I went off on this particular tangent. That is,
> assuming you have enough horsepower to allow the engine to reach peak RPMs
> in the highest gear, the speed at that point will be greater with taller
> gears (lower numeric value) in the differential than with lower gears
> (higher numeric value).
>
> I used these numbers ONLY to illustrate the point, I have no clue as to

the
> availability of them for a 7 Series car, the acutal ratio you get will
> depend on physical size factors of the differential housing itself.

Now I have 5 speed gearbox from 735i and a 3.45:1 diff from 733i and I
noticed that my car has a slower acceleration now than with 4 speed gearbox.
I had in plan to switch back 4 speed gearbox and to put 3.91:1 or 4.10:1
diff.
I am preparing this car for street racing in Croatia but I have some
problems with finding some parts.
I wanted to buy E24 (6 series) bmw but there is no a single car in Croatia
which is in a good shape. But then I found this one which is remarcable and
I turned it into a drag race car. Actually I'm still doing it but I plan to
finish it in next few months.
Do you know which BMW's have stock sperr diffs with that ratio?
Thanks for any help