Old May 13th 05, 08:59 PM
S.S.

yahmed wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently took a test drive for a new Corolla and the dealer told me
> it does not require any tuneups for next 12 years or 160000km. All you
> need is regular oil changes (every 6 months or 8000km)
>
> Instead of timing belt, it has timing chain that automatically adjust
> itself with time so no replacements are required. He was not sure about
> water pump.
>
> Just wondering, if he was lying? Are there any other costs like
> radiator fluid chages etc? (I think its a question for Toyota group)
>
> Now I am curious does Civic also comes with these features?
>
> Thanks,

Look, NO car is maintenance free. All cars, including Honda and Toyota,
require regular maintenance including fluid changes and replacement of
normal wear-and-tear items (e.g. brake pads). The difference is that Hondas
and Toyotas experience less problems with non-routine items than other
manufacturers, the big 3 in particular.

The Civic may cost a little more to maintain in the long run than the
Corolla solely because of having to replace the timing belt on the Civic,
but otherwise, the maintenance on both is about the same.