Old March 9th 05, 10:37 AM
Alec

Default Exhaust for MkIII 1.8 SE / Bad catalytic convertor??

" All seemed well, but now I have a metallic rattle coming from under the
> mid-front when moving off from standstill. Once cruising the noise
> goes away again. There is no loss of power. I'm hoping it's the
> exhaust coming loose as I'm ready to have this replaced, but I'm
> wondering about the Cat as the sound seems to be coming more from this
> area. From my description could it be a bad Cat? Loose heat shield??
> Should I tap the Cat to see if it has debris inside??

That's the CAT loose in its box. It will eventually break-up and partially
block the exhaust giving severe loss of power.
Buy a replacement from GSF or EuroCarparts. Check their prices online.
Rgds
Alec