Old January 15th 05, 06:37 AM
Darius

Default Need used Saturn purchase advice

I'm looking to get rid of my fairy unreliable 94 Pontiac Trans Sport.
I want something smaller and (much) more fuel efficient and best of all
made of polymer, which is about the only feature I still enjoy about my
van.

I have my eyes set on a 2001 Saturn SC1 with 5 speed and approx. 70,000
km (or 43,000 miles)
that I see at my local dealer lot. It seems to be priced right.
I want to know if there is anything specific I should look out for?
Mechanically and cosmetically what can (and does) typically go wrong
with such car that I may be able to spot?
I plan on taking the car to my mechanic, so if there are some problem
areas you can point out to me, I'll ask him to check it.
Also, I have been told to stay away from twin cam engines in Saturns
(actually GM cars in general).
Is there tany ruth to that? Is SC1 a better choice than SC2 as far as
reliability is concerned?

My dad (honda-owner-who-says-he-will-never-buy-american-again) is
laughing at me for even considering a Saturn. I have owned many imports
before, but don't want to go there again.
Please help, and thanks in advance.