Old April 8th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Do You Canoe?

I have an 11'9" Old Town one person canoe. It fits on the YJ, with Thule
roof racks, using rain gutter emulators from Thule. I strap it down pretty
tight with a ratcheting nylon strap deal, also from Thule. I would not
recommend this setup for any but short haul use, mainly because the Jeep is
just too short, to be a convincing canoe carrier, even with one of the
shortest canoes made. Also, rain gutter emulators, bolted to fiberglass,
are not really the same as rain gutters. At this point in life I camp out
of my Suburban. I cannot overemphasize the importance of sleeping up off
the ground in the mountains. If I had to carry the canoe long distances on
the Jeep, I would probably investigate some kind of bumper tie down.

A fiberglass canoe, if not padded properly and tightened down just so, can
make the most amazing noises on a roof rack. It has to be heard to be
believed.

Earle