Old January 24th 05, 08:08 PM
Mike Smith

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:52:46 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

>My 2002 Golf has a factory radio (non-Monsoon system).
>It works fine, except some nearby stations really fade
>quickly as I leave town. I drive 45 miles to a nearby
>town a few times every week and these stations are
>nearly gone after about 20 miles. These are both AM
>and FM stations with talk radio programs that I like.
>
>I suppose the problem could be that these are just
>low-powered stations and I am out of luck (can't
>amplify non-existent signals).
>
>Anyway, I visited a local car stereo place today and in
>a moment of weakness I bought an AM/FM antenna booster
>for $20.
>
>I've never installed any kind of car audio equipment.
>Is this sort of thing easy to do? Will I need to remove
>the radio? If so, will this cause problems with the radio
>(password/whatever)? Do I need special tools?
>
>Also, someone told me my car already has an antenna booster.
>How do I check for this? If so, I guess I should get a
>refund for my booster (unless it's okay to use two boosters).
>
>I appreciate any help anyone can send, as I am clearly a rookie
>and need help!
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>David Swanger

My reception sucks too. I just bought a new antenna from VW for $75.
and it did not cure the problem. I also have a new Sony Radio so I am
at a loss as to what teh problem is. I toyed with the idea of just
installing a regular antenna on the fender or something but I wanted
to try the booster deal first. I think it is simple to install but
you have to open your dashboard and grab the radio. The plugs are
inline but you may need to grab a hot lead to power it.

I would be curious if it worked before I do it on my 99 Jetta