Old February 2nd 05, 02:00 AM
Michael White

Default Clutch Housing Replacement

All,

I have to replace the clutch housing on my '82 Scrambler with a 258 and T5
transmission (don't ask - stupidity on my part). I've got a few questions.
First, in the clutch removal section of the factory manual, it says to
remove the transmission as described in the transmission section. The
transmission section says to support the engine at the clutch housing when
removing the transmission. Then the clutch removal section says to remove
the clutch housing after removing the transmission. Is this right? Once
the transmission is removed, do I no longer need to support the rear of the
engine? If I do need to support the engine, where is the proper place?
The oil pan? Or do I need to dig out the engine hoist?

Second, what is a used clutch housing going for these days?

Finally, is it possible to re-install the transmission and the Dana 300
transfer case as a single unit? I'd rather not break them apart if I don't
have to. I'm using a transmission jack that can handle their combined
weight.

Thanks in advance.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer, 1891