Old July 7th 05, 03:28 PM
BuckerooBanzai

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 06:43:16 -0400, Tom Adkins >
wrote:

>Bill 2 wrote:
>> "S.S." > wrote in message
>>

>>>German cars are actually no more reliable than the others. Volkwagens are
>>>just plain junk, and apparently, Mercedes-Benz' quality has suffered since
>>>the DaimlerChrysler merger.

>> No, MB has been junk for quite a while, no merger needed. German cars are
>> not only junk, but ridiculously expensive to repair.
>>
>> What gets me is VW puts out ****, yet has a retardedly high resale value.
>>

> Hey Bill,
> Not sure about newer VW, no experience. I've heard lots of complaints about MB, pre
>and post merger. One German vehicle that truly impresses me, though, is BMW. Granted,
>they are expensive in the US and Canada due to the Yuppie factor, but in Germany they
>are like Chevrolets (The impression I get from my German sister-in-law). The
>mechanical systems in BMW's, both 2 and 4 wheeled, seem to last nearly forever. I'm a
>die hard US vehicle(Ford) driver, but I have to give credit where credit is due.
>Granted, my personal experience with BMW is limited, but I've seen many with trouble
>free miles well into 6 digits. I also don't recall ever hearing a BMW owner complain
>about their car. BMW motorcycle owners seem to have nothing but praise for them. I've
>personally seen one go 12x,000 miles without any engine work whatsoever. Take that
>Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and of course Harley Davidson.
> One Japanese car that really made an impression on me was Subaru.(1995 AWD Legacy)
>During a blizzard on the New York Thruway headed to Toronto from Cleveland, that car
>felt glued to the road (deep snow). When you pressed the pedal, it went. When you
>pressed the brake, it stopped. No wheel spin or brake lockup at all. I've never felt
>safer in severe winter conditions. I don't know about their reliability, but that
>experience would count if I ever considered an import.
> I like my Taurus and my Mark VII but I won't defend their weaknesses by tearing down
>other makes that I choose not to own. To each his own.

Depends on the model, and within BMW, you expect more (features/gizmos, ride
comfort, and reliability) the higher in the series you go. The 3 series is
considered by most other Bimmer owners as the "entry level" model, then folks
work their way up with the packed dash 5 series, then gain some of the space
back when they finally graduate to a 7 series. Sort of like going from the
Cavalier to the Cadillac in GM terms. I knew a guy with a loaded 535 (I think
it was a 2002 or 2003, that would spend his break and lunch time sitting in
his, just start it up, run the A/C, and listen to tunes {or watch TV, I dunno,
all I know is that you'd never find him in the lunchroom}). Gotta love the
car to do that.