Old July 8th 05, 03:47 PM
ray

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Buck Turgidson wrote:
>

>>Is there a relatively easy way to disable the family car (2002 Honday
>>Odyssey) to prevent my kids from going joy-riding? They're not
>>mechanically inclined, so I am sure they would not figure out what I
>>did.

> If you have to worry about your kids doing this, then messing with the car
> to try to prevent it is a little like shoving a cork in the tailpipe to
> "solve" exhaust smoke. You're looking at the symptom when you should be
> focusing on the problem. Sit the kids down. Carefully explain to them the
> consequences of joyriding. Be sure to include not only the consequences
> *you* will apply, but also the consequences *the law* will apply, as well
> as the recursive consequences if their joyride should involve injury,
> death and/or property damage. If you're still worried that they'll
> joyride, then you've no business leaving them in a position to be able to
> do so.

You'd think the horror of being a teenager driving a Honda Odyssey would
be enough to prevent unauthorized use.

I do concur, it's more of a people problem than a technical problem.

One question I had for the OP - do your kids have licenses and are they
allowed to drive the van when with permission? Or are you worried your
10 year old is going to borrow the van because he doesn't know better?
If it's a 10 year old, keep the keys away from him and educate him that
he's not allowed to drive until he has a license. For teenagers, mark
the mileage on the kitchen calendar before leaving and note that if
there's more than one mile on it they'll be losing their driving
privliges for one week per mile put on the van. Better yet, maybe it's
time to get their own vehicle.
(ok, I guess that's a lot more than one question.)

Ray