Old July 15th 05, 06:28 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, N8N wrote:

> > > If they are replaced by 194s, try a W5W I think?

> > Nope. W5W is closer than 194, but not the correct bulb for the
> > application.

> Not to be argumentative, but what's the difference? It's a 5W bulb in
> the same form factor as a 194... curious why there would be a need for
> a bulb almost the same, but different...

There are lots and lots of variants on this theme.

168, W5W, W5W-10X, W5W-6K, W5W-4A, 3652, 2886X, 70715...

All of these are about 5 watts. Some of them put out more light than
others. Some of them last longer than others. Some have different filament
shapes. Of this list:

One's halogen
Three are Xenon filled
One is Krypton filled
One is Argon filled
Two are vacuum bulbs

> But you reminded me of another question I wanted to ask. Do you have
> any experience with LED lights either in a 194-like wedge base or else
> as a replacement for a #55?

Yes, both.

> Reason I ask is, a Porsche 944 uses a wedge base bulb for the dash
> lights, I have W3Ws in there now, and they're really freaking dim.
> I've been warned not to go any higher wattage. Am thinking LEDs might
> be a reasonable solution to the problem? Also thinking that red LEDs
> would be cool in an old Studebaker (uses #55 or 57 bulb) instead of the
> old paint-dipped 57Rs which are just as expensive as the LEDs.

You can try it...whether it will work or not depends on the positioning of
the bulb with respect to the instruments themselves. Sometimes these "LED
bulbs" work OK in dash illumination situations. Sometimes they don't work
at all. And they never work in exterior lighting/signalling.