Old May 11th 05, 05:31 PM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Interesting. I was wondering about the lack of breaking even when
> coming down the rae 'hills' in New Orleans....
> Plus the lack of overdrive would help to 'climb' the mountains too
> --right?
> THe rest of the time, I am leaving it on.
>
> THanks to all for the info., I really apreciatte it.

Well, you seem to me to be putting on your coat and hat before checking to
see if it's cold outside. If you are going up and down hills then your
transmission will be "hunting" for the right gear (D or OD) and that's
probably not good for your transmission. Probably best to put in in D
unless you are going to be on a straight stretch for a while, over, say, 45
mph. If you are driving around the city not going over 35 then you'll
probably want to keep it in D. Your transmission will most likely let you
know at what speed it likes to go into OD so after you get familiar with
your car you'll have a good idea when to switch to OD and when to stay in D.