Old July 18th 05, 12:49 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Terry Pinnell > wrote:
> FWIW, it starts OK in second.

And does this stop the snatching as you slow to a rest? Just that if it
does, this means it *is* the box changing to first causing the problem.

> I had another conversation with the local mechanic this morning. The
> gist was that the air hose split could have caused the computer to
> change its settings. My obvious question was "So, after you replaced
> the air hose, why didn't the computer change the settings again to
> match the new fuel/air proportions?" He said something about the
> computer possibly being faulty, but I didn't really follow. Make any
> sense?

Computers get blamed for everything?

In practice, the vast majority of faults put down to the engine ECU turn
out to be something else like a sensor etc. In your case I'd be looking at
the idle control mechanism to make sure it's clean and functioning
correctly.

I remember reading a report from a company which supplies re-con ECUs that
over half those returned on exchange had no fault found.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.