Old July 20th 05, 01:29 PM
Houdsie

Default Engine running hot? - Need advice

The engine in my '73 Super seems to be running hot. When I pull into
the garage I can smell the engine. Also, I can hold the dipstick for 2
or 3 seconds before it starts to burn. I drive it to work a few days a
week which requires 20 miles of highway (I do 65mph tops)and always
figured it was the highway speeds causing the smell. But last night I
took a little drive of 7 miles or so and never broke 45mph with similar
results. One question is how hot is too hot?

I know for a fact my engine is running lean. I have the engine run on
exhaust backfire. However, the PICT 30 carb adjusting screws seem to
be clogged. When I adjusted the screw for the backfire, there was no
change in the engine. It's been a long time since I've dealt with
carbs. Can I remove the screws from the carb while it is in the car
(being careful not to drop one) and shoot carb cleaner in?

All the cooling tin is in place and I recently cleaned the underside of
the engine. Timing was set by the POs mechanic shortly before I bought
it (700 miles) and I adjusted the valves 500 miles ago. Any advice
will be greatly appreciated. It's been a hot summer and I don't to
leave the Bug at home due to the temperature. Thanks.

Houdsie