Old August 22nd 04, 08:11 PM
Ltine

(Ltine) wrote in message om>...
> Hi Everyone,
>

> I have been reading your post for a long time but have never
> submitted one until now. I hope that somebody out there can help me.
> I have a 68 ford Bronco, Brand new 302cid, 351 windsor heads (bigger
> valves), Holley Truck avenger carb, and a brand new bronco c4. The
> reason I have posted this message is because I have a problem I just
> cant beat. I have exhaust fumes coming into the cab. This may sound
> easy to correct at first, but I have already done all of the obvious.
> I have replaced both of the mufflers, the pipes only have about 3000
> miles on them, and for good mesure I have checked them anyway. I did
> the donughts off of the manifolds which (did seem to help a little),
> and I have put exhaust tips on just to make sure it is clearing the
> back of the truck.
> The exhaust system is 2" and it is straight back without a cross over
> of any kind. And finally the manifolds are stock but not cracked or
> broken in anyway, and have brand new gaskets and I have checked the
> torque several times.
> However the only time that I have any problem is when the window
> is down. I have heard tidbits about a vortex being created by having
> the window down, that sucks into the cab. I'm not sure this is true
> but any help will be greatly appreciated. Anyone who has ever ridden
> in an old Bronco knows that in the summer there is no way to not open
> the window or take off the top in the summer. I am truely desperate
> here. I am a competative athlete and cannot take the fumes. I'm
> afraid that if I cant solve this problem I will have to get rid of my
> old bronc, and thats too bad because with this engine set up she
> screeams!
>
> Thank you in advance for any help, I throw myself on the wisdom
> of the group.

Hey Mike and Steve, thank you both for your ideas. I did
recently adjust that mix, I had been running rich throughout the
winter. That did help a little. What is the major difference between
the exaust porting out the side of the truck rather than the straight
out the rear? And I think your both right about the seams and rubber
on the truck letting in fumes. I have a few rust spots, and a couple
on the tail gate, close to where the exhaust pipes come off of the
bronc.

Thanks again