Old March 29th 05, 01:47 AM
Steve W.

"Joe S" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > > Wrong what? I didn't say "Hydrogen is a fuel source". I said that
> > > hydrogen fuel cell technology is one way to power vehicles that

> does
> > not
> > > *require* petroleum.

> LPG
> > and

> in
> > large

> > energy

> return.
> > >
> > > Is it your contention, then, that billions of dollars are being

> spent
> > on
> > > research without viable plans for production and distribution of
> > > hydrogen by the expected to-market date of 2012?
> > >
> > > If you know otherwise, what's your source? I'd love to read about

> how
> > > all this exhaustive R&D that's going on that will be of no use at

> all
> > > (because you don't personally know how they plan to provide the

> fuel).
> > >

> > > --
> > > Joe

> > Yep that is my contention. Those BILLIONS are being spent for

USELESS
> > research. The fact is that Hydrogen as a fuel has been done already.

> How
> > to store it, how to burn it. Already been done. What NONE of this
> > research has shown is HOW TO CREATE THE HYDROGEN in the first place

> for
> > low cost.

> What do you think are the ways to create hydrogen that have been tried
> but are too expensive, and what are their repsective costs? "Too
> expensive" is an absolutely relative term.
>

> Joe

Thermal cracking - Current method using petroleum based items as the
base stocks. Has been experimentally used with other base stocks.

Electrolytic separation - Experimentally used to produce VERY limited
quantities.

High pressure catalytic splitting - Experimentally used to produce VERY
limited quantities.

With regular gasoline priced at $2.25 per gallon and using an equivalent
btu amount of hydrogen you get

TC - $4.35
ES - $8.45 using Nuclear, $9.45 using Hydro, $16.45 using solar
Hpcs - last I read it worked out to close to 35.00.

These are ALL prior to adding in the distribution and infrastructure
systems that do not exist at this time. It also doesn't consider the
replacement cost to supply the power that will be lost from those
sources that are currently in use.

Oh and while you may consider expense to be relative 99% of the world
doesn't. If you don't believe price being the prime motivation explain,
Wal~Mart, Dollar Tree, All for a dollar and all the CHEAP import stuff.