Old March 18th 05, 03:41 PM

> I plan on cleaning the engine compartment of my 97
> accord with 137,000 miles. I know to cover the alternator
> and obvious electrical connectors. I also hear advice to
> cover the distributor, but from my what I recall Honda
> 2.2 vtec engines are distributorless. Are there any other
> parts of the engine compartment that I should be extra
> carefull to keep water away from?
> I plan to use Simple green, a low-pressure mist, a cold
> engine when cleaning and to final rinse with distilled water.

The fact you'll be avoiding high-pressure water almost guarantees
you'll stay out of trouble.

Do not apply WD-40 to any rubber or plastic since it's almost like
mineral spirits and can attack them, especially the water hoses, whose
EDPM rubber (also used for weatherstrips) is impervious to almost
everything except oils. Silicone oil (spray lube, many vinyl/rubber
protectants) is an exception, keep silicone from getting sucked into
the engine, such as through the intake or a vacuum leak (loose hose)
because it can ruin oxygen sensors. Actually EDPM rubber doesn't need
silicone oil because it's virtually impervious to UV rays and ozone.,
unlike vacuum, fuel, and brake hoses.