Old June 11th 05, 07:37 AM
SnoMan

"Peter D. Hipson" wrote:
>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:57:15 -0400, Mike Romain
>
>wrote:
>
>>I believe your 2.5 will have no issues. Just don’t lug the

>engine, keep
>>it in one lower gear than you normally would and my owners manuals

>both
>>say not to use overdrive (5th gear) when towing.
>>
>>I have seen sheets that say the new TJ with the 2.4 can’t

>handle more
>>than 1000 lb. Too bad.
>>

>The requirements for the TJ include trailer height (a popup is ideal
>in that respect), and weight. I only remember the 4-cyl specs
>(that’s
>what I had) and it was (as mentioned) about 1000 lb. Many popup
>trailers are under that weight, but some are well above too. I’d
>recommend you see if you can determine the weight of the doggie.

Where
>you are intending to drive is important too! Hills will be tougher
>(lack of serious power! <g>) I personally liked the 4 cyl
>engine, for
>my uses it had sufficient power, and got reasonable economy too.
>
>If you can’t find the weight of the trailer, you can get it
>weighed.

A Cherokee with a 2.5L 4cyl and a 5 speed is factory rated at 2000 lbs
(wrangler should be simular) and I towed a bit over 3000 lbs with it
once 25 miles without any real problems and 1500 lbs give or take
several times. If you are planning a long trip I would keep it under
1500lbs though. I should also add, if you are running oversized
rubber, these rating will have to be lowered a good bit (depending on
tire size)

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-Jeep-w...ict123845.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=603493