Old May 21st 05, 12:31 PM
Edward Strauss

aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> In article >,
> Edward Strauss > wrote:

> > It is not approved for automotive use in the U.S.

> Actually, it is not approved for automotive use on public roads
> and highways. You can put it in your car and drive around your
> own private property all you want.

You're right. You can also snort it.

> > It is not illegal to
> > sell or own...

> No one said it was. The OP posted to rec.autos.tech, so it's
> implied that he was inquiring about using it in a street driven
> vehicle.

Read back through the thread.

> > People love to scream "illegal" from a keyboard.

> Your imagination is running wild...

Not really. Seems that people scream illegal or junk when something is in
their opinion not fit for use.

> > Run into a shop or store that has the stuff on a hot day and try screaming
> > "illegal" and see how it goes...

> Pointless since it's sold in droves at any hardware store,
> usually in the same isle as propane torches and soldering irons,
> or, in with the camping equipment.

So why scream illegal??

> > > The fuel system is specifically designed to store and transport flammable
> > > fluid. The A/C system is not.

> > In a new vehicle. Once the years and rust sets in it is another story.

> Exactly. So, adding another flammable failure point makes sense?

To some people it does.

> > In any serious motor vehicle accident there is always the threat of fire
> > from the primary fuel source.

> Is it raining where you are, because I think your straw man is
> starting to rot.

That is your opinion.

> > Now we have hybrids that are a lovely mix
> > of high voltage and gasoline. I would use Hot Shot in something like that
> > just for spite.

> Cars have been high voltage and gasoline since 1975.

Ever seen how a hybrid is wired? A little bit more than an ignition
system is involved.

> FYI, the brand name "Hot Shot" refrigerant is an acceptable
> substitute according to the EPA.
> What was it you said about "screaming" from the keyboard?

I chose the wrong brand. Would you accept maybe topping off R-12 with
R-22 or should I think of something worse??

> If you want to do something for spite, try robbing a bank,
> there's more money in it.

Or you could just tell it like this. Maxi-Frig in a older vehicle that
has a A/C system that is in decent shape could be a cost effective
solution. It is not approved for automotive use by the EPA and all
warnings should be read and understood before it's use.

Robbing banks is illegal, Maxi-Frig is not.