Old June 6th 05, 11:35 PM
dubljay

"One out of many daves" wrote:
> You will need to make sure the ECM/ECU numbers are exactly
> alike. Just post
> the numbers you find on yours here too.
>
> I doubt if it is the ECM but it might be. I think I have
> replaced one
> Digifant II ECM where the vehicle did not start at all. I am
> not sure why
> this one went bad, but all has been well for years.
> Did you test all sensors/switches at the ECM harness plug?
> Very important
> to check those grounding wires!!!!
>
> Are you sure you have an exhaust that is not clogged? Check
> the vacuum with
> a gauge during different engine loads (idling, part throttle,
> full throttle
> and deceleration). Post results!
>
> Are you sure you checked the ignition very carefully while
> checking the
> spark advance? That will tell you if the knock sensor is
> working correctly.
> If it is not working correctly then you will have a loss of
> power while
> accelerating.
>
> Not sure if your CA equipped Jetta has an EGR valve. Maybe
> that is a test
> pipe you are looking at. If it has a rubber cover over it's
> tip you can
> remove it to see if the exhaust comes out of it slowly or
> almost like a
> tailpipe. (Another test for restrictive exhaust)
>
> Time to think about taking this Jetta over to a good VW shop
> so you don't
> spend unnecessary $$$. ;-)
>
> JMHO
> dave
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "dubljay" > wrote in message
> snip
> > OK I am pretty sure that it is not an ignition problem. I

> know that
> > the fuel pumps (both) are good, as is the relay, and the

> pressure
> > regulator. I've tested a few sensors using an ohm meter and

> the
> > Bently, and come up negative. I think the ECU is dead. I

> have doubts
> > that it is even the original ECU. So I think the problem

> lies within
> > the ECU. There is an '87 jetta GL with Digifant 1 in it,

> will that
> > ECU work or do I have to get one out of a '91? Also I can't

> seem to
> > find an EGR valve anywhere, and the part of the EGR that is

> supposed
> > to be plugged into the cad. converter is no there... the

> hole is just
> > plugged, no sensor or wires coming from it. Could this be

> part of the
> > problem?

Acutally I have given up. I was right they have replaced the engine,
and in doing so they have cliped wires and connectors off leaving me
no way to tell what is what. Anyone want a 91 jetta parts car? I
would take it to a shop however there isn’t a mechanic within 100
miles that i would trust to work on a VW.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Volkswagen...ict120690.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=600139