Old March 4th 05, 05:44 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Daniel J. Stern" > writes:

> > I'm curious Dan. Since the alternator was cooked, was there any core
> > trade-in value on it towards the new one?

> That's the funny part -- there was not a SINGLE usable piece on that
> alternator. The rotor, stator and all other internals were thoroughly
> barbecued and the housings had sustained severe heat damage (rear) and the
> spun bearing (front). Nevertheless, Canadian Tire did deduct the core
> value from the final bill. A very expensive doorstop for a remanufacturing
> plant somewhere.

I can't remember the last time I had a core inspected -- it seems like
the rebuilders have decided it isn't worth trying to get retailers'
counter people to fight with customers over the value, and just accept
that a certain percentage of their cores will be worthless.

I've got a steering box on the way from Firm Feel (it wasn't the
pump... wish I'd seen Steve's email about testing it before I had the
replacement on special order), and they've promised me the core value
on my old box sight unseen.