Old July 15th 05, 05:46 PM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > > Speaking of tough-to-find bulbs, I've been having a devil of a time
> > > finding a replacement for the Stanley 12V5W bulbs that came in the
> > > corner lights of my '92 Civic. Two clear ones are used, one for the
> > > signal and one for the marker light. Stanley will not sell to the
> > > aftermarket (I called them), and my local dealer does not stock them.
> > > They simply replace burnt-out ones with (I think) 194s that are
> > > nowhere near as bright.

> > If they are replaced by 194s, try a W5W I think?

> Nope. W5W is closer than 194, but not the correct bulb for the
> application.

Not to be argumentative, but what's the difference? It's a 5W bulb in
the same form factor as a 194... curious why there would be a need for
a bulb almost the same, but different...

But you reminded me of another question I wanted to ask. Do you have
any experience with LED lights either in a 194-like wedge base or else
as a replacement for a #55? Reason I ask is, a Porsche 944 uses a
wedge base bulb for the dash lights, I have W3Ws in there now, and
they're really freaking dim. I've been warned not to go any higher
wattage. Am thinking LEDs might be a reasonable solution to the
problem? Also thinking that red LEDs would be cool in an old
Studebaker (uses #55 or 57 bulb) instead of the old paint-dipped 57Rs
which are just as expensive as the LEDs.

thanks,

nate