Old July 6th 05, 06:41 AM
Jan Andersson

> 1600 dual port
>
> idiots guide says to adjust endplay
> to .004", install paper gasket (.009" thick)
> and torque flywheel on.
>
> This would put .005" tension on crankshaft.
>
> I measured endplay. I have .009"
>
> is it vital to adjust to .004?
>
> Jen

When the endplay is out of spec, there's more "room" for the crank to
bang more violently back and forth, and it will eat more room for itself
at an accelerating rate. A tiny little bit of play is required to ensure
there's no chance of binding.

The instructions you quoted mean that WITH a .009 paper gasket, you
should achieve .004 play.

Today, on an o-ringed flywheel like you have on that thing, the paper
gasket is left out (as instructed by the factory I think, not sure).
Replace O-ring inside the flywheel and install with very light coat of
oil on the o-ring. No sealant needed. You CAN use the paper gasket if
you want, it's not a disaster.

..009 is a bit on the wide side, .004 is ideal but you can leave it a
little looser or a wee bit tighter if you have difficulties achieving
it. As the shims "wear in" etc. the gap grows a little, during the first
few hundred miles. Then it settles. Your .009 would start to grow too,
but faster and it may just keep growing when the chain reaction begins.
(When you are past the wear limit point... accelerated wear etc.)

Jan