Old May 26th 05, 01:51 PM
Michael Pardee

"Steve" > wrote in message
> JOSEPH Castro wrote:
>
>> I have a 2005 TL I trade in my 2002 TL Type S, I can tell you the 2005 is
>> better in everyway. It is solid, great interior gets about 22 mpg in NY
>> mostly stop & go. My 2002 got 29 on the open road.
>> I simply wouldn't by an American car. I also had a 1986 Chrysler Turbo
>> Lebaron. I remember the ads where it out handled, out accelerated ..out
>> everything a BMW.
>> What they forgot to tell you is that the power windows would break every
>> three months.

> That was 1986. You DO realize that was 20 years ago, don't you? How many
> parts do you think an 86 LeBaron shares with a 2005 300C? And aside from
> that I see a lot of 1986 LeBarons are still on the road (power window
> problems notwithstanding). More than I see 1986 Honda products, in fact.
>
>> The repair would last only 3 months. In between repair the windows were
>> duct taped in the up position so they would fall down into the doors.
>> That's the last American car I will own.

I had an '84 Chrysler 600ES - essentially a LeBaron - with the Mitsubishi
2.6. It was a terrible car. The windows didn't fall down, but the driver's
window jammed every few months. Far, far worse was the Mitsubishi power
train... don't get me started. The chassis was no blessing, either. I spent
an entire day tracking down a wiring short in the lights to find it was a
wire in the passenger door that had been banging against a metal edge until
it cut through the insulation. The headliner started to fall nearly the day
the warranty expired. The CV boots lasted nearly 4 years, so I guess I
shouldn't complain much. But I traded the car and got nearly nothing for it
when it was 6 years old and needed a new timing chain. Step 1: remove
engine. The clearance in the car was not enough to remove the timing chain
cover, and remounting the engine required a special alignment jig to prevent
destroying the torque converter from misalignment (that happened to a
friend's 600). It was obviously designed by people who wanted it to sell and
didn't care what the ownership experience was after that.

Maybe they have changed their ways, but I'd be a fool to take the chance.

Mike