Old June 18th 04, 09:02 AM
Gordon

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:30:58 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Gordon wrote:
>
>> Nope
>>
>> Apparently I left the car standing for too long this weekend and her
>> will to live seems to have completely vanished since. I'm not even
>> sure now it *is* an ignition problem and wonder if she's in need for
>> another heart transplant. However....

>Why do you think that?

The engine's got about 300kkm on it and really didn't run that smooth
to start with.

>> Ground strap seems okay (don't I also need that to run the solenoid?)

>Not necessarily
>
>> Steady voltage running to the coil.

>OK
>
>> When I lay one of the sparks on top of the engine I actually see it
>> sparking. Now my vision is somewhat blocked 'cause I'm looking through
>> the vent holes,

>Vent holes of what?

The big black ones on top of the enginebay cover

>> but somehow the sparks seem erratic and I think they
>> are supposed to be blue-ish, not yellow. Still, shouldn't that give me
>> at least an occasional crank instead of the silent treatment I'm
>> receiving now???

>Possibly. Perhaps we should go back to basics:
>
>Fuel, spark compression:
>
>I suggest that you check that fuel is getting to the cylinders
>Then get some 'proper' spark testers (I like the ones that sit on top of
>the plugs and light up when you get a spark)
>If those two tests reveal nothing, then over to the pros to get the spark
>timing checked (which suddenly makes me think: is your distributor loose?)
>unless you have a timing strobe, and then check that you have compression.
>TBH I think the compression is unlikely to be the culprit.

Distributor is fully tight and besides that wouldn't comply with the
fact that once it runs I can keep it running and even restart it after
breaks up to several hours. Using the finger method I defenitly feel
compression (had to check it because after switching distributor I
suddenly felt that I might have put it back in reversed). Seems that
the number four carburettor isn't behaving well either since the
flowchannel is getting wet. At least proof there's fuel reaching the
engine.

She has to meet the mechanic next week anyway for her anual
APK/MOT/VAT. Guess I'll have to tow her to meet that appointment.
Shame

Thanks for thinking...

Gordon

Giulietta 1.8 '82