Old September 2nd 06, 05:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
wtrplnet

Default black color. smart or not ?

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "clarke" wrote
> >i plan on buying a new A3 and i only have to decide on the color. I

mostly
> >like the black colors but i have heard that they might not be the smart
> >choice. Any reasons why i should not take the black color ?

> Another reason not to choose black or other very dark color is that it

heats
> up more in the sun. So if you're in Florida or Texas, that may be of
> concern, especially if the interior is black leather also.
>
> Pete

I deliver cars for a detailing service. We get all kinds of cars in. Black
is very popular here but there are distinct problems that only seem to show
up on black cars. All the above apply, difficult to keep clean, shows
scratches, very hot in sunny climates, etc. We had a Lexus in yesterday
that was a sad case. The car was pretty new but had deeply burned-in water
spots on the flat surfaces. I asked the manager, who is an expert in paint
care, if it was possible to polish out the water spots. He said "maybe."
He said it's possible for the minerals, chemicals, etc. in the water to burn
all the way through the clear and color coats, and the only way to restore
the car would then be repainting. Black cars given constant care look
great, but they are a LOT more work to take care of than other colors.

Alan