Old March 9th 04, 06:59 AM
hiroshima facts

Tony P. > wrote in message >. ..

> As to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, evidence is now coming out that the prime
> motivation was to scare the USSR more than force the Japanese surrender.

There is no evidence coming out that says anything at all like that.
All evidence shows that the point of the bombs was to force Japan to
accept Potsdam.

> Most people now believe that Japan was prepared to surrender even before
> the Hiroshima device was dropped.

It is a shame that Japan was not prepared to surrender on our terms.

The way out for them was to accept Potsdam. Trying to surrender on
unacceptable terms was a non-starter, and a mistake that got them
nuked twice.

> Nagasaki was just a bonus and a test of a slightly different device.

Nagasaki was an attempt to force Japan to accept Potsdam.