Old March 11th 05, 11:25 PM
Dave C.

> What a mess--6 dealers! They must have a low volume of sales, or are just
> plain greedy. You did the right thing walking away.
>
> I thought about how I might have handled it different, and came up with
> these questions:
>
> * Did you discuss price before deciding on the car with the hawk?
>
> * Did you say you were buying with cash?
>
> * Did you tell them that you really wanted that particular car?
>
> * When they took an hour to go over the deal, where were you--in the room

or
> cooling your heels in a waiting room?
>
> If you get the chance, Dave would you post an answer to these questions?

> have an idea or two as to what happened, but want to get more facts first.

Of course I didn't discuss price before deciding on the car . . . if I
hadn't decided on the car, what would we be discussing a price for?

Yes, I made it clear early on with all the dealers that I was paying CASH.
(well, personal check, but . . . )

Yes, I told all the dealers exactly which car I wanted. I didn't even
bother to talk to a salesperson before I verified that they had the exact
model/options/etc. on the lot for sale.

The dealer who wasted my time left me waiting for a while at the salesman's
desk. I almost walked out right before my offer was rejected and a
counter-offer made. I DID walk out immediately when I heard the
counter-offer.

I know I did everything right, as a regional sales manager CONFIRMED that I
did everything right. Bottom line, if you do your homework well, it is
practically impossible to buy a new car. Car dealers want NOTHING to do
with informed buyers. They'd rather sell a few cars at a *huge* profit than
even ONE at a small profit. -Dave